Fort Bourtange is a star-shaped moat fort, located in the village of Bourtange in the east of Groningen in the Netherlands near the German border. This fort was built in 1593 to create a border around the only road between Germany and Groningen, which was was occupied by Spaniards around the time of the Eighty Years War.
Fort Bourtange continued to serve its purpose as a defensive mechanism on the German border after experiencing its final battle in 1672. Finally, it was surrendered in 1851 and converted into a village.
Fort Bourtange is currently a historical museum. The fort has remained in perfect condition and consists of historical churches, cobblestone streets, wooden windmills, marvelous bridges and old military barracks within the 11-acre pentagon. Due to its historical background and scenic views, it is very popular among tourists.