URISA is pleased to announce the newest members of its Vanguard Cabinet. The Vanguard Cabinet (VC) is a URISA initiative (which debuted in 2011) to engage young GIS practitioners, increase their numbers in the organization, and better understand the concerns facing these future leaders of the GIS community. The VC is an advisory board who represent the young membership of the organization. The Cabinet’s mission is to collaborate with URISA’s Board of Directors and Committees in creating and promoting programs and policies of benefit to young professionals.
Comprised entirely of passionate young members selected from different geospatial disciplines, the Cabinet aims to position URISA as the center of opportunities for ambitious young professionals who are committed to improving URISA and the geospatial profession via innovation, collaboration, networking, and professional development.
Meet the 2019-2020 URISA Vanguard Cabinet Members:
• Micah Babinski, GISP, PMP, GIS Project Manager for Elyon International, working with Bureau of Land Management, Portland, Oregon: It's an honor to be selected for the URISA Vanguard Cabinet! I am looking forward to continuing the amazing work of past VC members to make URISA an even more inclusive, forward-looking organization that prepares young professionals to be the future leaders of GIS. During my VC term I hope to work on increasing awareness of open source geospatial technology, promoting diversity in the GIS profession, and creating networking opportunities between young GIS professionals and our counterparts in the IT and project management professional communities.
• Meredith DiMattina, Crime Analyst Supervisor, City of Burlington, North Carolina: I'm looking forward to working with a diverse group of professionals in promoting geospatial learning and related career paths among young people. I'm honored and truly excited for this collaborative opportunity.
• Bryan Ferri, GIS Specialist II, Kjeldsen Sinnock and Neudeck Inc, West Sacramento, California: URISA involvement has been hugely beneficial to me both personally and professionally. That being said, I’m very excited to have been selected to join the Vanguard Cabinet! I look forward to supporting the VC’s mission to foster membership and professional development of young professionals in the geospatial industry while connecting with others who share my passion for GIS.”
• Caitlyn McNabb, GIS Coordinator/Project Manager, AzTec Consultants, Littleton, Colorado: I am looking forward to working with a community of like-minded GIS professionals that are setting the bar for how we engage in the industry as well as our communities.
• Daniela Sabillon, Transportation Planner (GIS), Osceola County Board of County Commissioners, Kissimmee, Florida: I am thrilled about my new role in the Vanguard Cabinet! This is an incredible opportunity to learn, collaborate, and make a difference in our GIS community — and I couldn't feel more grateful. During my tenure, I intend to improve and develop my skill set as an effective and innovative leader so that I can be of great service to current and future GIS professionals. More importantly, I intend to learn from my peers and mentors by harnessing the power of teamwork — a crucial component to the vitality of the geospatial profession. Passionate about GIS in transportation, I hope to represent the niche group and bring awareness. And lastly, but certainly not least, I look forward to growing initiatives in 'GIS in K-5 education' and 'GIS for health services'. Let's get started!
• Kevin Volz, GISP, Operations Lead, Evari GIS Consulting, Inc., San Diego, California: Excited for this opportunity to collaborate and connect with GIS folks from all walks of life! Looking forward to serving young professionals and providing the support and guidance they need to achieve personal and professional growth. I'm interested in investing in our younger generation and working to motivate them to have exciting, meaningful, and impactful careers while also contributing to making this world a better place.
• Haley J. Zehentbauer, GIS Analyst, Stark County, Canton, Ohio: I am excited and honored to be accepted as a member of the Vanguard Cabinet. This is a great opportunity to connect with other young professionals and collaborate on GIS initiatives. I am passionate about strengthening the presence of young GIS professionals in URISA, while also supporting education, mentorships, and collegiate involvement to encourage growth in the GIS community.
Each will serve a two-year term.
In addition, retiring Vanguard Cabinet members selected Rachel Rodriguez, GISP, Senior GIS Analyst and Countywide Address Management System (CAMS) Coordinator for Los Angeles County to serve as VC Chair and Kristin Wooten, GIS Technician for the Raleigh-Durham International Airport, to serve as VC Secretary for 2019.
Cabinet members are selected through an application process, with a review by the Vanguard Steering Committee. The application process for 2020 Vanguard Cabinet members will open in October 2019. Learn more about VC activities here: https://www.urisa.org/vanguardcabinet