Space sector recruiter EVONA take another giant leap towards creating an inclusive STEM sector.
Bristol-based space sector recruiter EVONA has partnered with the United States Geospatial Intelligence Foundation (USGIF) to sponsor a talented young person through a multi-year degree.
Following the scholarship fund’s announcement at last year’s GEOINT Symposium, all 2022 USGIF scholarship winners have now been selected.
“Not only does EVONA share USGIF’s commitment to investing in the future of GEOINT, they also understand the essential need for that future workforce to be equitable and diverse,” commented Christine MacKrell, USGIF Director of Education and Professional Development. “With support from community partners like EVONA, USGIF is better positioned
As part of their mission to drive diversity into STEM industries, EVONA has joined forces with USGIF to create the EVONA Scholarship for Diversity in STEM. The EVONA Scholarship was designed to open doors for an undergrad from a diverse gender and racial background pursuing a geospatial, data science, or space-focused degree. EVONA wanted to inspire someone who may have otherwise faced challenges, or felt it was not possible, to pursue a career in STEM.
Richard Joyce, EVONA Co-Founder, commented, “EVONA are advocates for the benefits that a diverse workforce can bring to any organisation. Like many in our sector, we recognise that there is a lack of diversity in space, aerospace, engineering and STEM as a whole, and we know the industry won’t change unless we begin to address that issue now. We’re looking forward to supporting someone throughout the next stage in their education and beyond into a bright career in STEM.”
After careful consideration, the EVONA Scholarship’s winner has been announced. Introducing – Janna Chapman.
Currently studying at the University of Maryland, College Park, Janna is a senior dual degree student majoring in environmental sciences and technology and geographical sciences. Her lifelong interest in environmental science and experience with spatial data manipulation has fuelled her passion for a career in GEOINT.
“Earning the USGIF EVONA Diversity Scholarship solidifies the strength of my knowledge and competence in the geospatial field,” said Janna. “Knowing that top people in the industry feel that I am worthy of this scholarship makes me feel that I will be able to succeed in the future. I also appreciate USGIF and EVONA’s commitment to diversity by supporting underrepresented students. I love the geographical sciences, hope for more people who look like me to feel included in this field in the future. This scholarship will allow me to focus on my school and research work without having to find a part-time job to pay for college.”
Janna has a keen interest in using Geographic Information Systems (GIS) to investigate the spatial patterns and inequalities associated with the effects of climate change. After pursing a master’s in geographical science, she hopes to one day have a career in environmental data science.
EVONA Co-founder Tom Kelly commented, “As a specialist space sector staffing agency, we understand that sustainability of the space sector relies on the next generation. We must act in a pragmatic way now to encourage diversity into the workforce as well as nurture the talent already within. EVONA strive to make a tangible difference to a sector we love, and we’re thrilled to be able to do that in such an impactful way by sponsoring Janna in her undergraduate degree.”
EVONA are passionate STEM ambassadors with a mission to show people from all backgrounds that space is for everyone. The EVONA Scholarship is an incredible opportunity that will drive much-needed diversity into the US STEM workforce – currently 89% white and 72% male.
The correlation between diversity and performance has been statistically proven. Companies of ethnic diversity at executive level are 33% more likely to outperform peers, while senior leadership teams that are at least 30% female see a 15% increase in profitability. With statistics like these, it’s clear that a diverse STEM workforce is necessary for the industry to thrive.
It’s safe to say that EVONA are being the change they want to see in the space sector. They are leading by example, demonstrating exactly how to affect change in the industry. By advocating for diversity and inclusion, we can shape the future of STEM into one that will progress and thrive.
· The EVONA Scholarship for Diversity in STEM was awarded under the USGIF 2022 Scholarship Program
· EVONA (www.evona.com) was born when four passionate recruitment specialists teamed up to apply their skills to improve the long-term prospects of the international space industry. Set up in 2018 by Tom Kelly, Jack Madley, Ryan Hill and Richard Joyce, our co-founders represent more than 40 combined years of recruitment experience and 30+ years of recruiting for the space sector.
· Now at 42 heads, we use our expertise to match amazing abilities to incredible opportunities in the space sector. The result is that we’re one of the fastest growing space sector recruiters in the world.
· EVONA’s mission is to demystify the space sector so everyone feels they can have a successful career in one of the most exciting industries in the universe
· Every member of EVONA is a STEM ambassador which means we dedicate or free time to advancing the importance of STEM initiatives amongst the younger generations.
· EVONA won New Business of the Year from Lloyds Bank British Business Excellent Awards in Nov 2021
· For further information or images please contact Adele Fox – Marketing Director EVONA on [email protected] (+44) 7989 691 486