INTRIGUING IMAGE OF THE WEEK
INDUSTRY INSIGHTS & TRENDS
- Machine-Learning Nanosats to Inform Global Trade
On Sept. 28, 2020, Glaswegian-built nanosatellites joined a fleet of about 100 objects in low-Earth orbit that help to predict the movement of the world’s resources so businesses and governments can make informed decisions.
- Western U.S. Smoke From Fires Stretching Across the Country
NOAA/NASA’s Suomi NPP satellite captured recent images of the United States showing that the winds have changed yet again, blowing the smoke from western fires back to the East and crossing the continental United States.
- Terra MISR Used To Visualize Cloud-Top Heights From Tropical Storm Laura in 3D
The NASA Earth Applied Sciences Disasters Program Geographic Information Systems (GIS) team worked closely with representatives from the Esri 3D team to produce the first-ever interactive 3D visualization of MISR cloud-top height data and publish it to the NASA Disasters Mapping Portal.
- Mauritius Oil Spill Causes ‘Environmental Emergency’
The island of Mauritius has declared a ‘state of environmental emergency’ after a grounded vessel began leaking metric tons of oil into the Indian Ocean. Satellite images, which show the dark slick spreading in the nearby waters, are being used to monitor the ongoing spill.
- WildTrack wins AUVSI XCELLENCE Humanitarian Award for pioneering conservation project using senseFly drones
- NV5 Awarded $28 Million in Geospatial Contracts to Support U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and U.S. Geological Survey
- Microdesk Releases BIMrx Fabrication DBS, an Optimized Database Solution for Revit
- Verus® Research Announces the Hiring of John Aurand, Ph.D., as Senior Technical Fellow