INTRIGUING IMAGE OF THE WEEK
INDUSTRY INSIGHTS & TRENDS
- Western U.S. Smoke From Fires Stretching Across the Country
NOAA/NASA’s Suomi NPP satellite captured recent images of the United States showing that the winds have changed yet again, blowing the smoke from western fires back to the East and crossing the continental United States.
- Terra MISR Used To Visualize Cloud-Top Heights From Tropical Storm Laura in 3D
The NASA Earth Applied Sciences Disasters Program Geographic Information Systems (GIS) team worked closely with representatives from the Esri 3D team to produce the first-ever interactive 3D visualization of MISR cloud-top height data and publish it to the NASA Disasters Mapping Portal.
- Mauritius Oil Spill Causes ‘Environmental Emergency’
The island of Mauritius has declared a ‘state of environmental emergency’ after a grounded vessel began leaking metric tons of oil into the Indian Ocean. Satellite images, which show the dark slick spreading in the nearby waters, are being used to monitor the ongoing spill.
- New Space Satellite Pinpoints Industrial Methane Emissions
GHGSat is a New Space initiative that draws on Copernicus Sentinel-5P data for mapping methane hotspots, and its Claire satellite has now collected more than 60,000 methane measurements of industrial facilities around the world.
- Quantela Deploys Smart City Technology to Combat COVID-19 in the USA
- HERE offers developers and data scientists direct access to rich geospatial data
- Fortem Technologies Adds New Capabilities to Autonomously Capture a Wider Array of Drone Threats, Including Faster Moving Fixed Wing Drones
- Pure Storage to Acquire Portworx, Creating the Industry’s Most Complete Kubernetes Data Services Platform for Cloud Native Applications