INTRIGUING IMAGE OF THE WEEK
INDUSTRY INSIGHTS & TRENDS
- Scientific Ballooners Wrap Up Fourth and Final Campaign
Scientists of the Balloon Array for Radiation-belt Relativistic Electron Losses (BARREL) team sent their last balloon into the stratosphere over Sweden on Aug. 30, 2016, capping off four years of launches to study how electrons precipitate into Earth’s atmosphere.
- Fire-Detection Satellite BIROS Releases BEESAT-4 Picosatellite
On Sept. 9, 2016, the Bi-Spectral Infrared Optical System (BIROS) fire-detection satellite, developed and built by the German Aerospace Center (DLR), released the Berlin Educational and Experimental Picosatellite (BEESAT-4) into space 515 kilometers above the Norwegian Svalbard archipelago.
- Satellites Record Auroras’ Rhythm
Using data from NASA’s Time History of Events and Macroscale Interactions during Substorms (THEMIS) satellites, scientists have observed Earth’s vibrating magnetic field in relation to the northern lights in the night sky over Canada.
- Sentinel Satellite Hit by Space Particle
ESA engineers discovered that a solar panel on the Copernicus Sentinel-1A remote-sensing satellite was hit by a millimeter-sized particle on Aug. 23, 2016.
- Orbital Insight Measures China Oil Supply With Satellite Imagery Analysis
- TerrAvion Launches First Aerial Imaging Solution Specifically Designed for Rangeland
- “One Atlas” – Airbus Defence and Space Launches the World’s Freshest Satellite Image Library
- FARO Disrupts In-Process Guided Assembly and Verification with the Introduction of a New Class of LIDAR with High Speed Imaging (HSI) Technology